Friends of the Libraries, Kona (F.O.L.K.)
Scholarship Policy Statement
Friends of the Libraries, Kona is offering scholarships to men and women pursuing a Master’s degree in Library Science
at the University of Hawai`i or who are Hawai`i residents enrolled in American Library Association accredited on-line
Master in Library and Information Science program. Applications are available online and are accepted annually in April.
Scholarships are awarded each year by June 1.
To provide financial assistance to Hawaii residents who are seeking a degree in Library and Information Science so that
there are qualified candidates to fill positions in the Hawaii libraries and related fields as they become available.
1. Be a resident of the State of Hawai`i. Preference given to Hawaii Island residents.
2. Be enrolled in an American Library Association accredited on-line library and information science program or the
University of Hawaii Master’s of Library and Information Science program or accepted for the fall semester.
In order to be considered for a scholarship, applicant must complete and submit all required materials by April 30, 2019.
1. Friends of the Library, Kona Scholarship Application Form
2. Personal letter describing your objectives and clearly establishing your reasons for pursuing a library career. This
should include any information you feel would be helpful to the Committee in considering your need for scholarship
assistance. (Personal letter must be attached to application form).
3. Signed Scholarship Policy Statement.
4. Two letters of recommendation from persons other than family members who know you well and can comment on
your character, ability, and potential success in librarianship. It is preferable that at least one recommendation is from a
professor. Please have the letters sent directly to Friends of the Libraries, Kona Scholarship Committee, Kailua-Kona
Public Library, 75-138 Hualalai Rd., Kailua-Kona, HI. 96740.
5. Official transcripts of undergraduate work and any graduate work. Please have the letters sent directly to Friends of
the Libraries, Kona Scholarship Committee, Kailua Kona Public Library, 75-138 Hualalai Rd., Kailua-Kona, HI 96740.
The Scholarship Committee will review applications in May. Applicants will be contacted by email or by phone if more
information is required. Please be sure to include a contact number for the month of May..
Awards will be made on the basis of scholarship, character, and financial need.
Scholarship awardees will be notified by June 3.
In the event you are awarded a scholarship:
1. Checks for scholarships will be forwarded to winners upon receipt of a photo suitable for reproduction. Passport type
“head shot” at least 2”x 2”. Good quality jpeg photo is preferred.
2. The Committee expects the recipients of the scholarships to keep in touch with the Committee by reporting on
progress at school and contemplated placement after graduation. The Committee would appreciate the recipient’s
attendance at the Friends Annual Meeting held in January if recipient resides on Hawaii Island and the meeting time
does not conflict with class attendance or work schedule.
3. If the recipient does not graduate from library school within three years after receipt of the scholarship, the entire
amount reverts to a loan and must be repaid within two years after last attendance at school.
All information presented will be held in strictest confidence.
Please sign and return this policy statement to indicate acceptance of the above
specifications and conditions.