Friends of the Libraries, Kona (F.O.L.K.)
2017 M.L.I.S. Scholarship Available
Friends of the Libraries, Kona is offering two $2,000 scholarships to a student pursuing a Master’s Degree in Library
and Information Science at the University of Hawai`i who is currently enrolled in the Library and Information Science
Program, University of Hawai`i, or who has been accepted for enrollment for the fall semester.
• Must be resident of the State of Hawai`i. Preference given to Hawaii Island residents.
• Must be enrolled in the Library and Information Science Program or accepted for the fall semester
• Those enrolled through distanced learning program are also eligible.
In order to be considered for a scholarship, applicant must complete and submit all required materials by May 12,
• Completed Friends of the Library, Kona Scholarship Application Form
• Personal letter describing your objectives and clearly establishing your reasons for pursuing a library career.
Include any information you feel would be helpful to the Committee in considering your need for scholarship
assistance. (A personal letter must be attached to application form).
• College transcript
• Signed Scholarship Policy Statement
• Two letters of recommendation from persons other than family members who know you well and can comment
on your character, ability, and potential success in librarianship. It is preferable that at least one application is from a
professor. Please have the letters sent directly to Friends of the Libraries, Kona Scholarship Committee, Kailua-Kona
Public Library, 75-138 Hualalai Rd., Kailua-Kona, HI 96740.
The Scholarship Committee will review applications in May. Applicants will be contacted by email or by phone if more
information is required. Please be sure to include a contact number for the month of May.
The awards will be made on the basis of scholarship, character, and financial need.
The scholarship award recipient will be notified by June 2.
In the event you are awarded a scholarship:
• A scholarship check for $2,000 will be forwarded to the award recipient upon receipt of a photo suitable for
reproduction. Passport type “head shot” at least 2”x 2”. Good quality jpeg photo is preferred. This will be used for
• The Committee expects the recipients of our scholarships to keep in touch with the Committee by reporting on
progress at school and contemplated placement after graduation. The Committee would appreciate the recipient’s
attendance at the Friends Annual Meeting held in January if recipient resides on Hawaii Island and the meeting time
does not conflict with class attendance.
• If the recipient does not graduate from MLISc degree program within three years after receipt of the
scholarship, the entire amount reverts to a loan and must be repaid within two years after last attendance at school.
All information presented will be held in strictest confidence. The scholarship application forms and information are
available on the Friends of the Libraries, Kona website at: www.folkhawaii.com or call F.O.L.K. Scholarship Chair,
Shirley David at (808) 756-1633.