Friends of the Libraries, Kona (F.O.L.K.)
incorporated in March, 1988 and under the umbrella of Friends of the Library of Hawaii since May, 1991
· A nonprofit association of people of all ages and occupations, who recognize the importance of excellent libraries.
· Assist the libraries in providing the best possible service to the community
· Provide volunteers and financial assistance to the libraries
· Cooperate closely but remain independent of the libraries
· Promote the importance of library services to the community
Why does the library need friends?
Although tax supported, public libraries need many additional items for which funding is not allocated. FOLK provides supplementary funds for such items as:
· Circulation materials
· Children's Programs
· Staff Education
· Support for Summer Reading Programs
· Community Adult Programs~